The Acts of Elder Swift
1. And it came to pass that the Spirit of the Lord revealed that Elder Swift was to remain in Otsu for a little season* for thus it was expedient for the salvation of souls. Elder Taggart has remained as his companion, and they worked well in unity. Through much study and training, they waxed stronger and stronger in the faith of the Lord and power in their teaching.
2. Upon receiving these instructions, Elder Swift went out with much haste to cry repentance unto all the people by land and by sea. He taught nothing but repentance and faith on the Lord Jesus Christ to the people.
3. One the first day of the week, he went aboard the Michigan**, he unfolded the doctrines unto all whilst sailing through the Biwa sea.
4. The next day he traveled by bicycle to move quickly to every soul in the city. While en route to an urgent destination, he was stopped by the guards placed in that city. They asked for identification. When asked for a phone number, Elder Swift handed the officer a gospel flier that had his phone number on it. He then began to teach the guard of Christ and invited him to repent and come unto the Savior. Being pricked by the Spirit of the Lord, the guard let Elder Swift and his companion go and gave them a promise that the guards of the city of Kusatsu*** would never stop the Elders or hinder their work again. The work in Kusatsu has progressed since then.
5. Elder Swift then traveled to the University known as Ritsumeikan. There were at that place a number of people who had sufficiently humbled themselves, and began to repent and come unto Christ. Upon seeing those that had humbled themselves, Elder Swift felt great joy in his heart and began to unfold the Plan of Salvation unto them with much boldness and plainness that all would understand.
6. Though there were many who accepted the testimonies of Elder Swift and his companion, there were others among them that hardened their hearts and did not receive the truthfulness of the message. One of those people soon came with soldiers positioned to guard the university. After the guards chased off all who listened to to word, they then turned to contend with Elder Swift and his companion.
7. Ye cannot preach here. Either cease talk of this Jesus that ye speak of or ye shall be driven from this land. Because Elder Swift refused to deny or silence his testimony of Christ, they were cast out of that land. While returning toward his quarters he found one named Kyota who desires to join himself with the saints of God.
8. And it came to pass that a great tempest came to the land of Otsu. It began to rain throughout all the land and will continue in such fashion for nearly a month or so. Thus passed the month of June among the people of Otsu.
9. Elder Swift continues to labor among these people with all his strength even to this day.
*Elder Swift is to stay in Otsu for one more transfer cycle which is equivalent to six weeks of our time.
**The Michigan is the name of a large old-fashioned boat that has a big wheel turning water in the back of it. It sailed about through Lake Biwa, the largest Lake in Japan.***Kusatsu is the name of the city that borders the city of Otsu. While the church building is in Otsu, the missionary`s apartment actually lies within the Kustsu city boundaries.