Kobe!

Kobe!
This is Kobe, Japan.

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

KYOTO 6 Jan 2011 (7 Jan in Japan)

Week 32
Mission Log

I`m glad to hear about how great everything is going back at home.  Everything is good here.  It`s getting a lot warmer here.  I still wear a sweater with my suit, but I usually don`t need a coat jacket or even gloves anymore.  I`m glad to hear that Dad is still making super cool ultimate killing machines.  I like hearing about what Dad`s working on.  Then, when people ask what my Dad does for a living, I can tell them lots of interesting stuff.  Is this plane the same one that you said hunts submarines and shoots them out of the water?  The albatross thing is very funny.  I did know what an albatross was.  It mentions them in the New Testament. 

Yesterday, in church, the opening song was "Jesus Wants Me For a Sunbeam."  It`s just a regular song in their hymnbook.  I think that`s funny.  We had investigators in church though and it probably seemed a little weird to them.  The words are at a child`s level.  They didn't sing it like how I always did in primary though.  They sang it more like how they normally sing songs in sacrament meeting.  More slowly and seriously.  It was way weird.  No one jumped out of their seat at all at the jumpy parts.  Here, even in primary the don`t just or anything at those parts.  It`s just a normal song to them. 

My companion really likes ramen.  So, we've been going to different ramen shops in the area.  In Japan they have tons of ramen restaurants.  It`s not just the packages of instant "Top Ramen" that you get in the stores.  They do have instant ramen in the stores too, though.  It`s just the same as at home, except the flavors are different.  The flavors here are soy sauce, miso soup, and pig bones.  They`re way good.  Pig bones is the best.  I eat it all the time.  The ramen at restaurants is way better than instant ramen, as you probably guessed.  Ramen restaurants are probably the most popular restaurants here.  There`s one close by that always has a line that goes our the front door and down the street a little ways.  They`re closed on Mondays, though.  So, we haven`t been able to go there. 

I got the package you sent.  Thanks for the CDs.  All American missionaries love EFY CDs, even though most didn't like them before their missions.  I've acquired two other EFY CDs from a friend here.  I now have five EFY CDs and a few other CDs that I got from people.  Maybe I`ll give them to Caleb when he goes on his mission.  Right now, he probably thinks that he won`t want them, but upon becoming a missionary, I`m sure he`ll grow to love them.  The Arizona house looks really cool. 

Nothing too exciting is going on here.  I`m still not fluent in Japanese, but I can say anything I want to say pretty well and I usually understand most of what people are saying, except when I get put on the spot.  Then, it`s way hard to understand for some reason. 

Everyone in Japan reads comic books, men, women, children, and adults.  I don`t get why they`re so popular.  You don`t even have to ask someone if they read comics or not.  You can just ask, "Which comics are you reading right now?"  There`s one called Slam Dunk that`s pretty popular.  I think that one sounds cool.  Lots of missionaries here buy comics books just before going home.  I don`t think I`m going to do that though. 

Elder Cook is coming to speak to the mission in Kobe on Saturday.  Everyone is very excited for that.  It will probably be the coolest thing ever.  I`m excited. 

That`s all I have to say this week.  I will write again next week.  I love you all. 

-Elder Isaac D. Swift

No comments:

Post a Comment